Thursday, January 8, 2015

October Happenings
















My Mom came to visit over Columbus Day weekend and we spent some time at the Museum of Natural History checking out the gems and minerals (the kids are obsessed thanks, in part, to Minecraft).  Mom and I spent one rainy day at Mt. Vernon, which was absolutely lovely aside from the chilly, rainy weather.  We had a delicious lunch on site and leisurely strolled the grounds.  The kids talked Grandma into playing castles with them and also the game HeadBanz.  

Abby whipped up a pretty intriguing Columbus Day book, for fun, which her teacher was nice enough to laminate and send home as a keepsake.  At one point she came in and said "I ran out of facts and have a few pages left", so we had to look up more things about Columbus.   I love her enthusiasm!  

I also had the opportunity to run the Army 10-Miler race (when a neighbors bib became available due to injury) and finished without collapsing, so we will call it a victory!  Never having run that far in my life, and also swearing off all races longer than 5 miles, I am happy to have finished and run the whole thing (albeit, slowly).  1:47 is not fast but I felt honored to have run alongside so many wounded warriors and members of the armed forces.  My friend Kim was kind enough to meet up in the morning to ride the train into DC together so neither of us was alone at 6am on the train.  She ran super fast so we were most definitely in separate corrals.

No comments: