Wednesday, January 28, 2009

How Quickly It All Comes Back...

Abby, 3 weeks old.

It is amazing how fast it all comes back to you. We had forgotten (or perhaps just blocked out) a lot of what babies do.
They poop, all the time. How did we forget this?

They get on these spit up kicks where you just about get them into dry clothes when they spit up again, so you change them and again the spit up comes as you lay them down until you finally remember to put a bib on them! Today this was occurring and when I picked Abby up from changing her diaper, the back of her head was covered in spit up, eww. All I could do was grab a towel, dry her off and head for Alex's preschool to pick him up. When Alex was a baby, I'm sure I would have cancelled my plans to stay home and get him cleaned up properly in the tub.

I think we had also forgotten how little sleep we actually get in the middle of the night. Abby appears to have the same symptoms Alex had when he started with reflux--all we can do is be prepared for the spit up barrage each feeding and not wear any nice clothes for a while. I'm sure the Dr. will prescribe her Zyrtec or whatever it was they had Alex on, but truthfully I'm not sure it ever really helped.
She cries, a lot more now, and a lot louder than she did those first two weeks, but we know it will all be over in a few short months so we'll continue to cherish all her awake, crying times AND her awake non-crying times. I use the term "cherish" lightly, as we don't cherish much at 3am other than sleep, but we're getting caught up on the news and late night talk shows at that hour. Leno was on at 3:30 or something last night and told a joke so funny I think we were still laughing about it this morning! All that crying has brought back the swaddling to keep her from flailing her arms all over the place and getting even more upset.
This is how I left Brad, Alex and Abby on Sunday morning when I went grocery shopping. Abby, all swaddled up and everyone else, still in PJs. Later in the day I asked Brad how it was with the two by himself and he said "piece of cake". I then reminded him that he was still in his PJs without a shower and it was 3:30pm. I think he has an appreciation for our daily routine.


8:30pm has become a very reasonable and very real bedtime for the adults in our house! Last night Abby slept from 9:45pm-3:30am, what a treat :)
The infant car seat is a blessing. Abby takes long naps in there. Today I brought it upstairs with me while I took a shower and did laundry. She didn't seem to mind!

Making dinner is best done in bulk on the weekends and frozen, or at any point during the day when baby is asleep.

Abby is adorable and we are loving having both a little boy and little girl in the house. Her very dark brown hair is starting to fall out so we are eager to see if we'll have another little blondie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So adorable. We'll have to come over again and bring dinner! :) We had a great time.